Monday, February 20

Thoughts at work at 10:41 AM:

- I get to have a very stiff drink in precisely 8 hours. Oh no. I wish I hadn’t calculated that, it seems like an eternity now. I have a bottle of rum that I don’t know what to do with. Are there any people who drink rum for pleasure? Like wine drinkers and beer drinkers and breezer drinkers (oh the shame!), where are the dark rum drinkers?

- I’m going to start apartment hunting again. Apartment hunting requires dedication and commitment. You need to be in it to win it. It doesn’t help that I’m in two minds about whether I should move at all. I have a beautiful, furnished apartment that I’ve grown to love. Unfortunately, my office has moved and now it’s quite far from where I live. The weather’s been really nice so far, the move happened in the winter. So now, kind of like the dudes in the Game of Thrones, my only concern is the fact that summer’s coming. I won’t be able to walk to the metro station, even though it’s a mere ten minute walk. Trust me, I won’t be able to. Don’t call me soft, you don’t know what it’s like here. I don’t want to take a cab every day as that will work out to be quite expensive. I have the cats that I feed, who I have grown quite attached to (while working constantly at honing my detachment skillz). But most importantly, I want to live close to work, I don’t want to waste time commuting. BUT I love my apartment and don’t want to leave and live close to my friends! You see why apartment hunting in this frame of mind is going to be interesting. Unless I find something spectacularly close by, something as instantly lovable as my current apartment and something significantly cheaper (my current neighbourhood’s kinda pricey) I don’t think I’m going to move.

- I need to register for my exam in May. A lot will happen in the span of a few months. I’m going to maybe find and move to a new apartment. I’m going to maybe have to get all my utilities and internet etc. registered. I’m going to have to STUDY for said exam. I’m going to have to finish off a lot at work and I’m going to have to do this before the 19th of April, since I’m going back to my beloved Delhi for two weeks. Mostly to not turn 26 in a strange land. I haven’t spent a birthday away from my family and I hope I never have to. Our extended family’s traditions are slowly changing, which is fine. But on my birthday I have to make like a homing pigeon and fly home.

- The flame of my love for my kindle is momentarily flickering. I have reverted to reading all the Harry Potter books on it. It’s a scary thought, to have the same strange indifference set in towards the millions of books available that seems to have set in with the entire universe of music available for easy and immediate consumption. Just because I know they’re out there means I want them a little bit less? What kind of horrific twat am I? Don’t answer that.

- I have to go home and remember to use both Harpic and Draino. Sigh.

- a glance outside the window tells me a sandstorm is in progress. Every little bit of wind in the desert becomes a sandstorm. Though the sandstorms are better to the apocalyptic, windless persistent haze (that’s secretly made of sand) that lasts for days on end.

- I’m worried about my spine. I have awful posture, especially while chilling, and need to watch that stretching video my brother sent me. In bed I can feel my back grumbling, and ignoring it because I don’t feel very responsible for all corporeal complaints is not a good idea. Love your body, you guys.

- Clearly, I’m still in the stage where only mindnumbingly inane small talk spews out of me. Word vomit. It’s not intentional, I swear. During a meeting yesterday afternoon I happened to notice a colleague wearing Ted Baker socks, and I’ve been chanting ‘tedbakertedbaker’ to myself since. Perhaps that’s the reason why all time seems to be going by so quickly, it’s because my brain’s fucked off and left its idiot cousin in charge. Samuel Beckett said ‘every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness’ and my brain’s idiot cousin concurs.

- Pleasantly tolerable. That’s good enough.

No comments: